Imagine spending a wonderful day at the beach. And not having to leave. Watch the sunset whilst sipping a cool drink. Fall asleep listening to the sound of the rolling waves. And as soon as you wake up, simply slip into your swimming gear, run towards the sea for that refreshing morning dip. That sounds like a dream, doesn’t it? Spend a few nights in one of these beach houses in Holland and that beach dream just may come true.
When I wrote about the most beautiful beaches in The Netherlands, many of you were surprised that Holland can be a beach holiday destination. The last few years, the weather has been really lovely from May to September, which puts our country on a list of top summer destinations in Europe. And honestly, there is something to say about the Dutch coast. Our dunes are amongst the most beautiful and interesting national parks in Western Europe and the Dutch beaches are big and wide. And a cool beach bar is never far away. If you feel like spending a few days at the Dutch coast, why not stay at an A-location? Right at the beach.
When I was growing up beach houses were just there for daily use. You’d rent one for the season, and you’d store all your beach kit there. But the huts would have no electricity nor running water or toilet facilities. So, my heart skipped a beat or two when I saw overnight beach houses popping up along the Dutch coast over the last few years. Staying right at the beach, in comfy beds, with fully equipped kitchens and bathrooms to shower off all the surplus sand. I must say, I am completely blown away by these beach house in Holland and can’t wait to stay in one of these, as soon as I can get my mitts on one.
How to get to the beach in Holland
- First of all, fly into either Amsterdam or Rotterdam.
- Although it is possible to reach some beaches in Holland by public transport, I would advise you to either drive to Holland or rent a car once you get here. Many beach resorts are not very well connected to public transport.
- You could probably guess, but beach houses in Holland fill up pretty quickly and there aren’t many last-minute vacancies. So if you have your mind set on staying in a beach house in Holland? Book one as soon as you can.
- Read my page Plan your trip for more advice.
Beach houses in Holland
- Beach houses Julianadorp
- Beach villas Hoek van Holland
- Aan zee slapen
- Surf and beach
- Beach resort Nieuwvliet-Bad
- Landal Sluftervallei
Julianadorp is located in the northern part of the province of North-Holland, a part of the country with the most beautiful beaches. White sand, lots of great beach clubs, but also great tranquillity. And now there’s the possibility of staying right at the beach in the brand new beach houses in Julianadorp.
There are beach houses available for 4 to 6 people, all located on the beach. The kitchen is fully equipped, but there are quite a few restaurants and bars nearby if you don’t feel like cooking or getting a lot of groceries. I am one of those people that doesn’t mind a cloudy or even a rainy day at the beach, as I am a huge fan of dramatic skies. But if you are travelling with kids or getting a little restless yourself, the beach resort also has an indoor swimming pool. So every day swimming is an absolute possibility.
What to do nearby?
- Visit the Zuiderzee Museum in Enkhuizen, a fantastic open-air museum giving you a glimpse into a Dutch fishing village in the 19th century.
- Since Julianadorp is so close to Den Helder, it’s easy enough to drive to the ferry, hop on and visit the gorgeous island of Texel for a day.
Enjoying the beach in style. The beach villas in Hoek van Holland have been recently opened and have lovely terraces overlooking the sea. Hoek van Holland is one of the most popular beaches in The Netherlands and actually a quite good location if you’d also like to take a few typical Dutch day trips. And since the beach is close to the famous Rotterdam Harbour you’ll always be able to spot some impressive vessels from the beach.
What to do near Hoek van Holland?
- Visit the bustling and eclectic city of Rotterdam. See some cutting edge architecture and street art or visit one of the top museums in Rotterdam.
- The Hague, also home to a lovely beach, is not too far from Hoek van Holland either. It’s a great excuse to meet Vermeer’s Girl with the Pearl Earring or see some art by Escher. My guide to 24 hours in The Hague will give you some more ideas on what to do and see.
- An ultimate Dutch day out? Head to Delft and see the streets, bridges, canals and alleyways that inspired Vermeer to make his famous paintings. Check out my Top 10 things to do in Delft.
If you’re looking for beach houses in Holland, Aan Zee Slapen will soon pop up. The name means ‘Sleeping at sea’ and that’s exactly what you’ll do. The beach houses are perfect for a couples retreat or a few days at the beach with your kids. The living room, kitchen and bathroom are very comfortable. It’s possible to rent bikes to discover the beautiful adjacent dunes.
What to do near Wijk aan Zee?
- Wijk aan Zee is actually not that far from Haarlem. One of my favourite cities in The Netherlands, which I jokingly call more Dutch than Amsterdam. And a lot less touristy, and that’s no joke.
- The beach houses aren’t too far from Amsterdam either. So rather than staying in the crowded city, stay at the tranquil beach and take a day trip to Amsterdam. Talk about the best of both worlds! Follow the footsteps of Rembrandt, visit the Van Gogh Museum or check out some street art in Amsterdam.
Surf and beach resort offers beach houses in Holland on the beach in Katwijk, a popular Dutch beach resort not too far from The Hague and Leiden. The Katwijk beach is absolutely lovely and perfect for sun-seekers. From your beautifully decorated beach house just simply run into the sea for a swim, cook a simple but good meal in the fully equipped kitchen (with dishwasher!) and watch the sunset from your own terrace.
What to do near Katwijk?
- Spend a day at Duinrell, one of the best amusement parks in The Netherlands. It’s really close to Katwijk. Duinrell has both an amusement park with rides for young and older kids as well as a probably the best aqua park in the country.
- Katwijk aan Zee is really close to The Hague Beach, Scheveningen. If you’re into long beach walks I highly recommend walking from Katwijk aan Zee to Scheveningen.
Nieuwvliet-Bad is the new kid on the block of beach houses in Holland. The beach houses have only just been finished and I simply can’t wait to take my little one there, maybe next spring or summer. Nieuwvliet-Bad is situated in the province of Zeeland, the most south-western province. A province of sea, sand and amazing cuisine. Growing up, my uncle and auntie would spend their summer holidays in Nieuwvliet and I have loads of fond memories of visiting them and scouring the beach for shells, mussels and shrimp.
This would be even better from one of these beach huts, which are brand new and very comfortably decorated. The beach resort has several restaurants, several swimming pools, a laundromat, supermarket and lots of fun stuff for kids.
What to do near Nieuwvliet-Bad?
- Head over to Middelburg, a lesser-known Dutch city that is just so beautiful. Its city hall was voted the most stunning in The Netherlands and the dining options are amazing. Read my article 7 things to do in Middelburg, The Netherlands for inspiration.
- Visit Neeltje Jans, or the Duch Delta Works. The height on Dutch engineering, as the Delta Works are successfully used to keep the entire (!) province from flooding. Visiting Neeltje Jans and seeing men battle the force of nature is very, very impressive.
I can’t hide being a huge fan of Texel, one of the pretty Wadden island north of The Netherlands. Even though I’ve lived in The Netherlands all my life, I didn’t get to see Texel until last year and absolutely fell for the island. And this has a lot to do with where we stayed, Landal Sluftervallei. Admittedly, the cottages are not located on the beach but scattered around the dunes in an amazing natural setting. And the beach is only a short stroll away. So, who could complain! Read my complete and honest review in my article about Landal Sluftervalley, Texel.
What to do on Texel, The Netherlands?
- How to get to Texel, The Netherlands and how to get around? You read this, and much more in Texel: the ultimate travel guide.
- I’ve listed my favourites on the island in the article 16 great things to do on Texel.
- Eat the best Texel has to offer using my Self-guided food tour Texel.
- And don’t skip the most beautiful village on the island Oudeschild, Texel.
Would you like to spend a night in a beach house in Holland?
Save on Pinterest!
Read more about summer in The Netherlands
- 15 things to do in The Netherlands in summer
- 5 summer festivals not to miss in The Netherlands
- Summer in Gouda, The Netherlands: 5 must do’s
This article contains affiliate links. If you book a night away via one of these links, I receive a small commission at no extra costs to you.